She's been to been to every continent on the planet and traveled many countries. But there are just a few stories or memories she likes to tell at every dinner party or family event. Each time the details more elaborate than the last time. Her favorite is when I at age 5 so kindly enlightened my kindergarden class about where babies comes from during lunch. Once Ashley had lead the class to believe that "babies come from strawberries" because her mom had been having crazings for strawberries during her pregnancy with Ashley's litter brother. I stood up at lunch and let the entire class know that I was "more knowledge then Ashley on babies and where they come from" and gave them a semi-graphic account of how babies were made and how our parents "made love". She rants about how embarrassing it was for her to get a call from the principal, a nun, of my roman catholic elementary school asking her to pick me up from school about because I was talking about sex at lunch. She asks me every time ,"You remember how you saw nothing wrong with the whole situation?", I normally chuckle and ask her to stop. But really I don't remember, I have no recollection of the thing at all. What I can recall I'm not sure is even my own memory to recall. I wonder if the version I know is because of the few details that go unaltered each time she tells the story, or is the memory my mom recalls is the memory the principal recalled when she spoke to my mom, or is the memory the principal recalled the story the teacher told her, the teacher who heard from another kindergardener who may have over heard from a conversation at lunch. How well can a 5 year old accurately retell details of an event? I've looked over my kindergarden class photo, all 15 kids are in three rows and blow the photo has each persons name listed accordingly, there was no "Ashley" in my class.
This is hilarious. You might think about making it into a longer essay.
ReplyDelete