Monday, September 27, 2010

Big Red

Big Red wasn't really that big at all, actually he was pretty small. We lived in a condo at the time and my mom wouldn't let us get a dog so I begged for a fish. After weeks my mom took me to PetCo and I got a Japanese Fighting fish. 


The fish tank was fully loaded with a small bubble machine and blue rocks. It was my fish and no one else, a the youngest of 5 there was barely anything that was just yours. I fed Big Red more than the instructions directed because I knew how much he loved the freeze dried blood worms. For an 8 year old taking care of him felt like a big responsibility and I was happy to have it. 


My mom cleaned his tank for me one weekend and after she was done cleaning it she decided to wash dishes. When the dishes were done and my mom was running the garbage disposal and Big Red leaped from his tank and into the swirling stainless steel blades. I cried for days and didn't want to replace him either. I wasn't sure to be angry at my mom or Big Red. I asked my mom to throw the tank away. I haven't had a pet fish ever since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment