Monday, September 13, 2010
The Only Chocolate Chip
I wouldn't call interviewing my mom an interview, rather a look into her life. She never fails to leave out details. So when I started asking her questions about her childhood, honestly I probably only got 2 questions in, and she was more than excited to share details. I knew my mom grew up in a predominately white neighborhood but it never accord to me that it had a huge impact on her. In every class photo from when she was in kindergarden to 8th grade she was the only "brown" girl. And if by some small chance there was another "brown" girl in her class it didn't count because it was my aunt. My mother, a product of an interracial marriage, and her children the same, I never thought color was ever an issue. She had always embraced her colored and was happy she was the "color of the sweetest chocolate" and taught my siblings and I that we should too embrace our shade. But growing up she had always wished that she was never the only chocolate chip in sugar cookie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment