Tuesday, October 19, 2010
"A Girl Among Trombonists"
Starting the piece with a picture is a great way to get the audience to think about/attract the audience into the piece. The caption below it that states "I was a pioneer: first girl trombonists in my high school." allows the reader to formulate opinions on what they might think the passage is going to be about. Maybe because I'm not a "band geek" nor do I know how to play any instrument but I never really knew that being a female trombonist was such a big deal. However, the characters juvenile approach to feminism shows that at the time she probably wasn't truly a feminist, rather just what she though a feminist was. The scene where she describes being felt up by male members of the band but her not seeing the big deal in it, rather they were just practicing because their girlfriends weren't letting them seems to lack some logic to me. Overall it was a nicely written piece and provided some insight on a topic I had no prior knowledge about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment